marți, 30 martie 2010

Book Review - Now What? By Laura Berman Fortgang

What do you hate? When I saw that opener, I knew it was my kind of book. With all the soul searching, purpose finding, life directing books I've read, they've never really helped me. A lot of this type of books make you create an inventory of your skills, then have you try to match them against a list of occupations. The problem is, a lot of times it's not so mechanical. You probably don't need help in finding what skills you have. But what do you really want, what are you meant to do in your life, and what makes you happy? These are pretty deep questions, the ones I've asked myself for years.If you are like me, you may not know what you want, but you are darn sure what you don't want. Believe it or not this is a good starting point, because by asking yourself what you hate and turn them around, there you have your "wants".It's not what you do, but who you get to be. This was a big clue. We tend to get obsessed with "what", but is that really as important as "who"? Let me think of an example. I used to work as a secretary. I hated it. But it was the role I was playing, than "what" I was doing. When I'm running my own business, I still have to do plenty of menial tasks. But I'm not miserable, because that's just part of the job and I love who I'm being.Now What? is a step by step guide to finding your career direction. It gave me a lot of clarity and better understanding of what makes me happy, and where I need to be going. It takes you through where you come from and what you have been through, and help you find clues in them and fine tune a clear direction. Finally, a book that does what it's supposed to do. I highly recommend it to anybody who is not happy with their current job, or where you want to go in your career. dr seuss cat in hat quotes

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu