vineri, 2 aprilie 2010

Harry Potter and the Realms of Fantasy

I was most interested recently to learn that I am not alone in wishing Harry Potter would fall off his own broomstick. All around me, each time a new Harry book is released, there are frenzied excursions to bookshops all over the world. My daughter is a Potter Head and hungrily consumes each book as it comes onto the literary market.Personally, I cannot find these books entertaining no matter how hard I try to immerse myself in the story line. I determinedly sat down one winter's day in front of a roaring fire and began the first book, but by the time the wretched owl had flown in I was yawning and wishing myself elsewhere. Someone should write another book, entitled 'How to Find Harry Potter Interesting and Read a Million Words About Him without Shooting Yourself.'It was bad news for me when it was announced last week, with the arrival of the last book in the series, that the collection was to be recognized as Classic Literature and that J K Rowling was now widely considered to be of the caliber of Charles Dickens. Uh? Rats, I thought, now I will definitely have to read up on old Harry and try to find some semblance of whatever it is the rest of the world sees in this childish fantasy set on paper.At a social gathering a week ago I learned that I am not Harry's only critic. At least six out of a party of fifteen thought the Potter library was tedious in the extreme. We were shouted at by the majority though, and had to take cover at one end of the table.I fully expect to be pilloried for this criticism of a work that has set children's literature on fire for the past decade. When the Harry Potter films were released I though I might be saved by at least knowing what the story was about, thus I would be able to fool people that I had read the books. Unfortunately, I fell asleep during every one of the films. Despite the enthusiasm over this latest contribution of Ms Rowling, I still cannot bring myself to be enthralled. Sorry. I am deeply ashamed, you will all be pleased to know. Yawn. dr seuss cat in hat quotes

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu